From time to time the manufacturer will release new versions of the software which runs on your GPS tracker (called firmware). The latest firmware for a RockFLEET is version 3.4.23.
These will often provide minor bug fixes to address problems which have been discovered, and often include new features or adjustments to functionality.
Upgrading firmware should only be carried out after the advice of a member of our staff, or where directed by our documentation.
By upgrading you will be wiping the software and settings which makes the unit work, and replacing it with new software. In very rare circumstances, for instance if the upgrade is interrupted, it can result in a tracker becoming inoperable – we therefore advise that it should not be carried out immediately before you need to use it in the field!
To Upgrade the RockFLEET GSM Firmware
- Download and install the TP Connect App. At the moment, it is only available for iOS. In the meantime, you can use this App for Android: Rock7 Connect Android (Note: there may be issues with earlier versions of Android devices)
- Turn on either Network, Wifi or Mobile Data on your phone.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your phone.
- Ensure Bluetooth is also enabled for the TP Connect App itself (Go into your iOS settings, and scroll down to TP Connect, and Allow TP Connect to Access bluetooth.
- Start up the TP Connect app on your phone.
- Tap Connect to Device in the app (you may first have to select Change Device to rediscover the RockFLEET). If this is the first time connecting, you may be asked for a PIN. Unlock the device with 1 2 3 4 and tap 'Unlock Device.'
- Select the RockFLEET GSM device from the list of available Bluetooth items.
- Select Firmware Update, and tap Update in the top right hand corner.
If there is a firmware update available, the RockFLEET GSM will start downloading it through your phone's internet connection. This may take up to 15 minutes to complete and during this time the phone will need to remain in the proximity of the RockFLEET GSM to finish the download.
It may be necessary to keep the screen 'alive', but either changing the lock screen settings, or just tapping the screen intermittently during this process.
Once the download is completed the RockFLEET GSM will automatically start to install. This will take a couple of minutes and you may need to restart the app when completed.
The RockFLEET GSM will now be upgraded with the latest firmware. To check what version is installed on the RockFLEET GSM unit go to About->Device Firmware to see.
After upgrading, the tracker’s settings will be retained but we recommend that you double check your configuration and set your desired tracking frequency etc.
In the rare case that your RockFLEET GSM becomes unresponsive after a firmware update please use the 'reset magnet' supplied with your RockFLEET GSM. Place the magnet against the side edge of the RockFLEET GSM and slide it around the RockFLEET GSM twice. You will hear an audible click and beep, followed by the LED flashing while the RockFLEET GSM restarts.
Should you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact the TracPlus support team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +64 (3) 477 8656.